Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Window Replacement
We'd like you to be an educated consumer because we believe you will select Soft-Lite Gorell products for your home when you understand windows and doors. In this section you'll find answers to the questions about windows and doors that we most often hear from homeowners. The questions in this section have been organized into categories for your convenience. Simply click on any of the questions below for what we hope are easy-to-understand answers. If you still have questions, please e-mail Soft-Lite Gorell at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our best to get you an answer.
To view a list of questions by category, click on the tabs below. Click on a questions to view its answer. You may also use the Frequently Asked Questions menu, at right, to go directly to a particular FAQ category.
- Materials Used
- Security, Sound
& UV Protection
QUESTIONS ABOUT REPLACEMENT WINDOWS
- What is a replacement window?
- What are the advantages of custom replacement windows over pre-made, standard-size windows stocked at home centers and lumber yards?
- Do replacement windows really pay for themselves or is that just a sales line?
- Aren't beautiful vinyl windows an oxymoron?
- How are replacement windows any different from older windows in terms of cleaning?
- Will new windows eliminate condensation?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MATERIALS USED IN WINDOWS
- What are the advantages of vinyl windows over windows made with wood, metal or a combination of materials?
- Are there differences in the vinyl used by window manufacturers?
- What makes one window stronger than another and why is window strength important?
- Do woodgrain vinyls really simulate the look of wood and how well can they match different wood types?
QUESTIONS ABOUT ENERGY EFFICIENCY
- What makes a window or door energy efficient?
- What is an R-value and how important is it in selecting windows?
- What is a U-Factor?
- What is Low-E and, how important is it to have it on your windows or doors?
- What is ENERGY STAR®and what does it have to do with windows and doors?
- What is the NFRC and what should I know about it?
- Does argon or krypton gas between glass panes really make a difference in energy efficiency?
- How important is weather stripping?
- What are the different types of weather stripping, and what benefits do each have?
- Is there a way to improve the energy efficiency of existing (prime) windows that are still in good condition but have just a single pane of glass?
QUESTIONS ABOUT SECURITY, SOUND AND UV PROTECTION
QUESTIONS ABOUIT MAINTENANCE AND CLEANING
- How do I maintain and clean my Soft-Lite Gorell windows and doors?
- Can items such as the hanging apparatus for mini-blinds and window and door coverings be attached to Soft-Lite Gorell products without affecting the warranty on the products?
- Can I stain Soft-Lite Gorell vinyl windows?
- The top sash of my new double-hung window won’t stay up—I put it up and then it slowly slides down. How can I keep the top sash in place?
- The top sash on my double-hung window just falls down when it is not locked. How can I fix this problem?
- I currently have Soft-Lite Gorell storm windows or doors. I am repainting my house and would like to repaint the storm windows/doors the same color. Do you recommend using the same paint—which will be applied by brush—or do you have another suggestion?
- How can I determine if my Soft-Lite Gorell windows have Glass Protector?
- I have 5300 Series double-hung windows with full screens. How do I remove the screens from the windows?
- Why is there moisture at the center of the window or near the bottom handle on the interior of my window?
- Why is there moisture on the exterior glass of my new windows?
- Can I order Armor Glass® Plus windows with krypton gas instead of argon?
- What is the best way to clean my Soft-Lite Gorell windows?
- We have a Soft-Lite Gorell hinged door with screen, and the screen barely fits over the opening. Is it possible to have it made a little wider?
- Where can I find U-Factor and Solar Heat Gain values for Soft-Lite Gorell products?
- Does Soft-Lite Gorell’s warranty cover holes in the screen?
- Who should I contact for service issues regarding my Soft-Lite Gorell windows?